Wadebridge is a market town situated in North Cornwall. The town once spanned two parishes St Breock and Egloshayle, based either side of the river Camel. St Michael’s chapel was on the west side of the river and King’s chapel was on the east. Travellers would visit these chapels to give thanks for a safe crossing.
In 1312 a licence was granted for Wade to commence with a market. The town became known as Wadebridge after the bridge was built by the Reverend Lovibond, completed in 1948. The Reverend made the decision to build the bridge due to the number of animals and humans that had died during the crossing of the River Camel.