A very Cornish Christmas Feast
Use up your all of your Christmas day leftovers the right way and make yourself the perfect Cornish boxing day pasty! Grab your favourite left over veggies and meats, maybe even a dash of cranberry sauce and personalise your own pasty, something for the whole family to enjoy!
Take a peak at our favourite boxing day pasty recipe below!
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cook time : 40 minutes
Ingredients for the pastry:
125g Butter (A little extra for greasing)
500g Plain flour (A little extra for dusting)
For the filling:
Any and all leftovers for your Christmas day feast!
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
To make the pastry:
1. Dice the butter and lard and pop it into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour and rub the mixture between your fingertips until a breadcrumb texture is formed
3. Add a tablespoon of cold water at a time and mix with a knife to until a dough is formed.
4. Divide the dough into 4 pieces, cover and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
For the filling:
1. Take your chosen favourite leftovers and mix roughly together in a large bowl.
2. Add a little dash of either gravy, sauce, or a stock of your choice and set aside.
1. Lightly grease a baking tray with any left-over butter and lightly flour your work surface.
2. Take the pastry from the fridge and roll out one piece until it is about 1cm in thickness.
3. Use a plate of your size choice (I usually opt for a smaller side plate) on top and cut around it with a butter knife to form a round shape.
4. Pop a few tablespoons of your leftover mixture in the centre of the pastry.
5. Very carefully fold one side over to the other and pinch together with your fingertips until the pasty is closed.
6. Decorate with your very own pastry pattern before carefully lifting and placing on the baking tray.
7. Beat the egg and brush gently over the pastry before baking to get that beautiful golden brown crisp!
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes until golden.
9. Don’t forget to the pasty to cool for a few minutes before digging in!
Would prefer to eat out and staying in Falmouth this Christmas? Check out our favourite pizza places in Falmouth by clicking here, or our favourite cosy coffee shops in Falmouth by clicking here!